Saturday, January 24, 2015

Push Through or Back Off?


This is not a blog going out to hundreds of people, so you guys get a little special-ized Calley-centric perspective on yoga / health / wellness as I've gathered bits of info and practice over the last twelve years. And welcome to the mailing list for the new-comers!This week I was reminded of the importance of practice. As in, not talking about it, not thinking about it, actually doing it: practicing. Life has been a bit of a juggling act for me lately, as I'm moving into new business with my VO / production work, keeping the day job, teaching yoga, and somewhere in there hosting a podcast (that's been a liiiiiiiiiittle bit on hiatus through this time). I have not been getting on the mat as much as I want or need in the past month +, and so last week when I re-committed to not just squeezing in yoga here and there, but really dedicating time to practice FOR myself... ay ay ay. I'm a little rusty in some poses, I'm a little sore in some places, and I got a big fat cold.

Enter the perfect scenario to talk about pushing through or backing off? For me in this time period, pushing through means giving myself T.I.M.E. on the mat. As in, dedicate the whole freaking hour, because frankly there's only so much I can get done in terms of bettering my health and practice in 15 minutes (though I am ALWAYS the champion of 15 minutes is better than no minutes. Its the tactic I always recommend for people wanting to do more yoga - 15 minutes every day will take you farther than 1 hour per week in my experience). But once I got on the mat, and re-acquainted with my beloved Astanga primary series, I was reminded that oh yeah... I don't have the same stamina right now. Time to back off. Take some extra breaths. Sit in the pose a little longer, till I can really feel my body shift and move INTO the pose. If you don't know what I mean, go sit in child's pose or down dog or even stand on your floor in tadasana (aka mountain pose, aka standing with the attempt to have equal weight and balance in the left / right and front / back body) for FIVE WHOLE MINUTES. I mean it. Put a timer on. You will then understand that "pushing through" or "backing off" is a moment - by - moment adjustment, and only you can actually DO either of those things. A teacher can recommend, but at the end of the day, we're all our own keepers.
Hope to see you tomorrow (or this) morning!

Yoga with Calley at Yoga Garden Minneapolis:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plese keep your comments constructive, weather positive or negative. I'm not perfect, but let's all learn through love, shall we?